March 23, 2006

Why people like Bush

Neo Neocon used to dislike Bush too. That was, up until she realized that you need a certain iron determination, free from intellectual debate and moral equivocation, to protect women and children you care about.

When there is no threat, the neighbor with 500 rifles, 50 pistols, and about a million stack of ammunition for each kind of caliber might seem like a god dag loon. A danger to all that is peaceful. That is, up until you get invaded by barbarian rapists and murderers, and then he seems like a godsend.

Emotions vary, as the circumstances change.

Personally, I don't approve of the job the President is doing. And I am what is known as a "Bush partisan". In reality, I am an American partisan. What I fight for isn't to benefit Bush, my oaths and obligations weren't personal oaths to Bush as my liege lord. No, my oaths and loyalties are to the Constitution and the people of America.

Emotionally and philosophically, America is worth dieing for and it is also worth killing for. Fox might die for his beliefs, but I'll also kill for them. Which I guess, invalidates me as a possible friend to Tom Fox. That's fine with me. It wasn't no peace activists that rescued the "hostages". Better word would be "human shields".

In the end, a person can like Bush as I do, but he can also disagree with what and how he is doing his job. I hope the Democrats don't have a heart attack when they realize that most Republicans aren't fanatic Bush supporters, bar nothing. Or, maybe I do.

ADDENDUM

I do, however, object to a Beltway mentality, seen in how Washington journalists report on the politics of the war, which reflects the apparent belief that wars are supposed to go by the book.

Nothing goes according to plan, not even Dan Rather's fake but accurate project. The Beltway journalists might want to clean up their own house, before criticizing the house in which they are guests of.

Yes, at times Bush drives me crazy, too. His refusal to veto any spending bills fueled a growing deficit. The Bushies were dangerously overconfident about what it would take to win the war in Iraq. They may well have underestimated how many troops were needed in 2003.

I study the military as a hobby, so maybe you don't know that Bush didn't "estimate" anything. The military generals, the general staff, and the joint chiefs did the estimating and Bush did the approving. That was it. If you don't like the numbers of troops, you need to analyze it from the perspective of attacking the beliefs of a general, not of a President.

Vetoing spending bills or threatening to veto bills, is supposed to be a way for the President to gain political favors in Washington. From both sides. Because Bush doesn't use that Constitutional power of his, his "capital" is getting drained dry. Obvious really. I mean, the President didn't even get the promise from Edward Kennedy to shut the pock up for a year, in return for not vetoing his No Child Left Behind in the BackSeat of Kennedy's Car Bill.

Talk about a waste of opportunities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home